Let’s try to rethink the word wardrobe, which by definition just means our entire collection of clothing. We propose that our wardrobe is an arsenal of fashion weapons to slay every single day. We need to have different weapons for different occasions, right? But they need to function as a team to get the job done. The past few weeks we’ve been working on our spring cleaning and really identifying the strengths and weaknesses of our wardrobe. Allow us to present an easy guide to wardrobe essentials.
Dresses & Two-Pieces
For those of us that hit that snooze button repeatedly, dresses and two pieces are a life saver. They take the guesswork out of getting ready so we can spend an extra 5 minutes trying to perfect our winged liner. The full body essentials that made our list include:
- The classic LBD, perfect for many occasions such as weddings, funerals, business meetings, interviews and holiday dinners.
- The wrap dress, forever giving us that hourglass figure without giving up our morning donut
- A tailored suit (now this one is optional). Some of us never have to dress business casual, but when the occasion is thrust upon us, we stay ready with a suit. Colors like heather gray, navy, beige and classic black are the best bet.
- Jumpsuit, of course. They can be worn year around (unless it’s too hot outside) and come in many styles like urban, sophisticated and easy-breezy.
We’re pretty sure that everyone has a pair of pants in their wardrobe, but there can be many issues with finding just one pair to love. Most jeans don’t fit properly or they aren’t the right length or the wash is off. Either way, we’ve narrowed it down to only three pairs of pants that can get us through any situation.
- We can’t remember when skinny jeans became a thing, but we are glad they’re here to stay. Denim with a stretch is perfect for us curvy girls, high waist cuts suit those with a long torso and a few strategically placed rips give the perfect urban edge.
- If the skinny jean is our high school sweetheart, leggings are the bad boy we always end up going back to. A good quality pair of workout grade leggings is a staple in our wardrobes. They are perfect for the gym, running errands, lounging, and great for pulling a haphazard outfit together.
- Now, for those that didn’t find a need for a suit in their wardrobe, a great pair of slacks might suit you better. We love the slacks that are high waisted but cropped between the knee and the ankle. They are, of course, office appropriate, but they can be paired with sneakers and a crop top for a trendy weekend look.
- We had to put a skirt on this list. The style of skirt is up to you, but everyone needs at least one. We love A-line and form fitting midi-skirts, but a pencil skirt is also a great option for any fashionista.
Blouses, draping tops, strapless … it goes on and on. But actually, we only found two that are absolute must haves for our collection.
- The white button down shirt is classy and classic. Paired with cutoff shorts it says, “I am a vixen,” but paired with a nice skirt or slacks it says, “I am literally so sophisticated right now.” It takes our style to new levels.
- Who could forget the basic tee? It is there for us when the button down gets dirty. A basic tee paired with a blazer is a look we rock pretty often. We may not be strictly the jeans and t-shirt kind of girls, but we do indulge on occasion.
We’ve said it before and we will say it again, outwear can make (or break) an outfit. We were surprised with how many jackets made our list! This list is certainly flexible to suit every style.
- The denim jacket is like the Coca-Cola of coats. More than being All-American, it’s a piece that suits everyone, any day, any occasion. We love dark wash denim and we like to customize it with patches and pins.
- Ugh, and who could resist a supple leather jacket, or faux leather if you prefer. It strides on the line between badass and babe. Men think they’ve trademarked this piece, but we think women rock it better.
- When we think of all our style icons, Coco Chanel, Rihanna and Selena Gomez, they’ve all at some point worn a trench coat. A trench coat goes with any outfit. It shields us during sprinkles in the spring, keeps us cozy in the autumn and pulls together the boots-scarf-jacket combo in winter when we’re forced to emerge from our caves. Put a twist on this trend by getting your trench in a non-traditional color. Bordeaux, blush, olive and mustard elevate the trench even further.
Shoes / Sneakers
- Pumps are the iconic heel. Not all of us love heels, but if we have to own only one pair we’d probably pick the pump. A staple color like nude or black ensures the most versatility. If possible, we recommend trying a few before buying. If the pump isn’t your thing, but heels are, we recommend the strappy heel. It is a flirtier look that transitions well into evening/date night ensembles.
- Flats and sneakers have a close place in our hearts considering these are the shoes we are wearing 80% of the time. With sneakers, we love low-cut, classic styles like Converse and slip-on Vans but for flats, we look for something with a bit more glam. We always say to find a shoe in a neutral tone with a pop of metallic.
- Booties are the best, aren’t they? We can wear them to work on Friday, then to drinks with the girls, to our late night bootie-call, and then to brunch the next morning. They can literally be paired with anything, at least we think so. Everyone needs this shoe in their life.
After reading our list, how does this compare to your collection? This is just a basic list so, of course, we have our closets stuffed with all the latest trends like palazzo pants, off the shoulder tops and boyfriend jeans. But this has totally helped us recalibrate our style and have a better idea of what to look for when we shop.